Combat the clutter in your home today with our storage and cleaning ideas!
Doing housework may be a chore for many, but the act of cleaning has many health benefits! Let us share some with you.
- Regular cleaning reduces dust and allergies and may help to relieve the symptoms of people with respiratory problems.
- Clearing out the garbage and vacuuming regularly keep household pests out as pests tend to hide in dust and damp environments. You will be able to quickly treat pest problems as well, if any.
- Cleaning burns off calories and is a good cardiovascular activity. It helps to relieve stress as well. When your house looks clean, you will feel good too.
- Occupants of an unsanitary environment are more prone to illnesses caused by bacteria and pests, so keep your home pest-free today.
- When your home is free from clutter, you will be able to prioritise and concentrate better, making you more productive.
Now that you know the benefits of cleaning, it’s time to get started for a cleanup!
The living room is the heart of a home and should be a comfortable space for you and your family to spend time in.
Declutter old newspapers and magazines and create a magazine basket or rack to hold only the latest issues. Categorise your magazines by year or genres and hold them in upright positions. Alternatively. you can place magazines on the bottom shelf of a coffee table or a side table.
Tip: Store newspapers and magazines away from sunlight which may fade text and colours on the pages.
The kitchen should serve as a clean and inviting space where healthy and wholesome meals are prepared for the whole family.
Keep things in the refrigerator with storage containers or shallow baskets that are easy to slide out. This makes it easy for you to reach for your food items. Food labels will allow you to have an easy glance at what you already have in your refrigerator before you go grocery shopping. Consider storing fruits, fresh juices, soups and salads in glass jars with tight-fitting lids, as glass jars can be washed safely inside a dishwasher. Food waste can be reduced as well since you can see what is inside and eat your food before they go bad.
Tip: Line refrigerator shelves with easy-to-wash placemats or plastic wrap that you can just toss out when there are spills from food/drink items. This makes clean-ups easier.
Start and end your day stress-free by making your bedroom a relaxing space to be in.
It can be tempting to throw everything into a bedside drawer and turn it into a junk drawer. Tidy up your drawer by using compartments to store everything. Colour code each compartment to make finding items easy.
Tip: Store small items such as bobby pins and clips in a pill box or an ice cube tray.
Make your bathroom a relaxing haven by tidying up the clutter.
For those with a bathroom sink cabinet, store toiletries in baskets that are easy to slide out. This form of storage gives you easy access to items stored right inside the cabinet. Alternatively, use a hanging shoe organiser to store beauty/cleaning products. The shoe organiser can be hung behind the bathroom door for instant visibility and easy access.
Tip: To disinfect the bathroom sink, pour baking soda down the sink and flush with boiling water. Also disinfect faucet handles as you touch them after using the toilet and before washing your hands.